Sunday, February 20, 2011

Chocolate Covered Strawberries




















Last summer we moved into a new home, and during the unpacking and cleaning I had a moment when I just wanted to sit down and cry.  At that very moment the doorbell rang and when I opened the door I literally cried.  Standing there was the sweetest looking lady holding a huge edible arrangement bouquet.  The edible arrangement was sent by one of my husband's co-workers and her husband.  Wow, what a treat!  It was exactly what we needed.  It was perfect!  In the arrangement were pineapples cut like flowers, honey dew melon, watermelon, grapes, and chocolate covered strawberries!  
My daughter enjoying the edible arrangement!
A couple of days ago my daughter asked if we could make Chocolate Covered Strawberries.. So last night after dinner we got busy! 
Toll house chocolate chips, any kind is fine!  We chose semi- sweet chocolate!  Next time we might try white chocolate!  We found some beautiful strawberries!

No fancy candy melting device here!!  A medium stock pot filled 1/4 of the way with water, bring to a boil.. Place glass bowl on top, pour in chocolate chips with 1 teaspoon butter flavored shortening ( like Crisco)  I think it makes the chocolate shiny.. That is just my personal experience, I actually have no idea what the technical cooking term is... LOL Watching this close, stir with a spatula until all the chips are melted. 
*I like to use mini-chips for melting*
When all chips are melted carefully hold strawberry by the tops/leaves and dip in the chocolate..shaking any extra chocolate off gently, then place them on waxed paper... In the frig until the chocolate is hard (15-30 min) * If you can wait that long* 
  Some of the strawberries I used special fruit picks..  These really work & hold the fruit in place so it doesn't slip.  The picks worked very well.  We just reused them for the other berries.  The picks are plastic, you can hand wash and use again! Here is a picture of a few that I dipped using the plastic pick/sticks.
 And the finished strawberries.  They aren't perfect, but they were yummy!  My daughter was thrilled!!  She ate 6, one after the other!
I also covered the whole berry with chocolate..  I am sure covering them half way might look nicer, but not for a 4 yr. old who loves chocolate.



I couldn't resist, I ate two!  They were the best thing I've had to eat in over a month!  I could have devoured the entire plate!
My daughter's bday party is coming up, I am going to make some white chocolate covered berries and decorate them!  Be sure to look for pictures of the "Mermaid" party!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment