Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Pies

I started baking pies not too long ago.. I honestly have never been interested in baking pies or cakes.. I enjoy cookies, cupcakes and decorating...
One day I had a craving for my Great Grandmother's Chess Pie.. called my Mom and she gives me the recipe:




Chess Pie
1 stick butter, melted
1 1/2 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon self rising corn meal
Melt butter, mix butter and sugar... add eggs one at the time.. stir... add remaining ingredients and stir..
My first instructions for baking were... Bake at 325 for an hr.. tried that, didn't work.. My first Chess Pie looked more like Chess soup!
I thought my Mom was nuts when she told me to add vinegar and cornmeal... I actually didn't add either the first time!  Just sounds gross, doesn't it?  I decided if I wanted Great Grandmother's pie I had to add vinegar and cornmeal... I bought yellow corn meal, it didn't work.... Then I tried Hot Rize... Perfect!!
After a ton of research on the internet I came up with the perfect baking procedure, if you will... for this chess pie....
 Bake at 400 degrees for ONLY 15 min.  Turn heat to 350 degrees, bake 30 more mins..
Wonderful pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment